Shopify is rapidly gaining popularity and for good reasons. There are no design or coding skills needed to set up a beautiful and fully functional site.
Follow our easy 5 steps and you will be amazed at what you just pulled off – try it!
1. Sign up for an account with Shopify
You can use our link to signup for an account (we get a little kickback) or you can just go directly to Shopify’s site and get started.
All you’ll need is an email address – you get a 14 days free trial to try it out, no credit card and no commitment, just a great way for you to see what Shopify is truly all about.
Of course you’ll need to choose a name for your store – don’t worry you can always change that later.
Once you fill out the signup forms, your store is created!
2. Familiarize yourself with the Admin – the back-end of your store
If there’s one thing Shopify absolutely nailed, it’s the ease of use – the admin is extremely intuitive and easy to navigate.
The navigation is on the left side and the menu items are neatly ordered, as you can see the core components are the Orders, Products and Customers.
Don’t get overwhelmed you’ll see – it’s extremely easy.
3. Let’s create a product
From the admin navigation, click on Products and then click on the “Add product” button on the main screen.
Run through the fields – if you’re missing a piece of info about an item, don’t worry, you can always come back later and update it.
Just make sure you have the basics:
If you prefer visuals, check out this easy to follow tutorial – courtesy of Shopify help center
Once you created your first product, for all practical matters and purposes, you have a store and you are ready to start selling, how easy was that?
4. Create a collection
Shopify groups it’s items by collections, a term you might better know as categories. Let’s create a collection so that you get an idea of how it works and what you can do with them.
From the admin navigation, click on Products and the click on Collections link that’s under the Product menu, then click on the “Create Collection” button on the main screen.
Choose between a manual collection or Automated collection – again, don’t worry about getting it right, you can always come back later and change things around.
Again, If you prefer visuals, check out this easy to follow tutorial – courtesy of Shopify help center
5. Wrap it up
Of course having a product and a collection likely won’t get you any sales, you’ll still need to setup your homepage, your menu and content pages, but these are all fairly easy to do and don’t require much.
We recommend you go through Shopify’s checklist and first pick out the items that you can do easily, get back to the ones that seem difficult to you later.
If you need some design inspiration, you can checkout this listing – it’s one of many but it should give you a quick idea of what you can do.
We should have written about this at the top, but our goal was really for you to see how easy Shopify is, and in our opinion that’s the main reason Why Shopify, but if you need more reasons, then here you go
- World’s fastest growing commerce platform with over 500,000 active global retailers
- Use your own domain name
- Sell gift cards and generate coupon codes
- Use its integrated blogging platform to create blog posts
- Process credit card payments
- Create in-store purchases
- Process purchases with your smartphone
- Receive 24/7 onboarding and technical support from Shopify Gurus
- Access ecommerce analytics
- Use built-in SEO
- Rely on fast servers, industry-leading response times, and cutting edge infrastructure
- Keep your customer’s data secure with PCI Level 1 Compliant checkout
- Sell unlimited SKUs
- They’re always adding free new features to help you sell
We’re here to help
If for some reason you don’t think you can do this on your own, feel free to reach out to us, we’d love to help.
Have a site that you’re proud about? Let us know and we’ll gladly feature it as an inspiration for others.
- Shopify’s blog Ecommerce Marketing Blog – Ecommerce News, Online Store Tips & More by Shopify
- Shopify help center videos on everything you need to know to build your Shopify store and make it a success
- Beginner’s guide to the Shopify Store step-by-step guide on how to build your own online shop with Shopify
- Paperback Reading – if you’re the kind of person that still uses paperbacks 🙂